Tuesday, January 2, 2018

The Book, Great Influenza of 1918

Lot of disjointed thoughts...

So far, so good! Finished printing the remaining copies of The Book and collated them (3 1/2 hours).



Hard to say which way I like printing the books. There is a way to print one book at a time which doesn't entail collating the pages BUT there is no rhyme nor reason to the order in which they print. On the other hand, until now I have always printed the 20 copies and collated them - which, no matter, kills my back.

Doing just the remaining nine meant I could remain seated while collating them which made it a lot easier physically.

Will have to think about it before next  year's book.

While I was collating the last of the pages, I watched "American Experience" on PBS. Tonight it was the story of the great influenza of 1918.

This was of particular interest to me as my paternal grandmother had the flu when she was pregnant with my Dad. She survived and on January 4, 1919, my Dad was born. That winter seems to have been much like the one we are experiencing now according to Dad's autobiography. When Grandma was in labour, "Granny" Whitford (an indigenous woman and midwife) showed up after walking miles and miles in the inclement weather and said she had been called to her.

It all sort of came together for me as "The Book" began when my Dad was dying of cancer. When he was so sick, I would find jokes, poems, quotes, whatever, and print them out and take them to him. At one point, Mom said, "You know, you should put them into a book."

And so I did....and I think this is the 18th copy of The Book.

I'm blessed also that my DGS Jonah was born on January 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment