Wednesday, February 8, 2017

The table - tutorial

Didn't really need to sleep on it LOL! Started building a table shortly after my last post.

For the legs, I used Houseworks balusters.


Cut the tree skirts from some 1/8" x 5/16" strip wood. Two pieces 4" long and two pieces 2" long.

Glued a baluster to each end of the 4" pieces and let glue dry

 Glued the short pieces between the balusters to form the short end of the table frame. Held them in position with Lego on one side and my small gluing jig on the other.


Cut a piece of 1/8" thick wood 3" x 5 1/2" for the table top then, using an emery board, sanded and rounded all the edges

Glued the table top to the base.

 
and clamped in place until the glue dried


Painted the table with Plaid Apple Barrel gloss acrylic enamel.

Sanded between coats of paint with a piece of brown paper bag
Ended up using three coats of paint.
Here are two of my four Kitchen bulletin boards.

And here I've pulled out some possibilities for the scene.

3 comments:

  1. Nice short and sweet project! I should use that idea for my kitchen stuff...off looking for a good location!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I love making these tables. You can adjust the size easily by simply changing the length of the skirt pieces. The table top can be any shape or size you want/need. Although if you want a round top, it's easier to use matboard than wood if you're cutting by hand.

      Delete