Monday, January 2, 2017

Agate table possibilities

Well, I got the glue off the piece of agate from the clock. (Used a straight blade.) It's looking good!


One thing I have to keep in mind when planning this table is to put at least two supports on it. (We used to have a wonderful one-pedestal coffee table that was beautiful but was not safe with toddlers or pets. They could and did tip it so easily.)

So here are a few ideas:

This one has two gold coloured pedestals (formerly from trophies - long story).

This is my favourite....very organic...which I feel matches the agate top. BIG problem for me is cutting it into two pieces that work properly.

Haven't quite figured out how this would work - maybe in a rectangle? Or even in an oval? It's plastic so that might be a possibility. And maybe painted in a lighter shade of brown or even a gold? I have several pieces of it.

These napkin rings have possibilities, I think. But it's hard to tell until I take them apart and I wasn't quite ready to do that. They need about half again as much height which would work by staggering the pieces and I think I could get the height and make them small enough to do two supports without sacrificing legroom. I like the wood - think it works well with the agate.

Maybe I could do four corner supports of two blond bases and one dark support.

I could, of course, just put a regular table base on it but that doesn't appeal to me at all.

Since I have absolutely no idea where this table will end up, it doesn't much matter at this point.

Just thought I'd throw some ideas out there....

2 comments:

  1. Maureen - love the agate! I have several pieces myself (without a hole in the centre, luckily) and I am thinking of turning them into 1/24th scale dining tables. I think I'm going to try to use natural branches (twigs in our scale I guess)to make the table base. I'm thinking the combination of the two organic materials could work well. Might work for you as well. I'll be watching to see how you make out! - Marilyn D., Oromocto, NB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea using age for 1:24 dining tables. Nobody here does 1:24 so they mostly end up as end and coffee tables. I did one piece as a coffee table in my penthouse http://public.fotki.com/stalbertmini/penthouse/art-gallery-031.html For that I used a cut up pastry cutter for the legs!

    ReplyDelete