Saturday, November 26, 2011

Loveseat

I've had this in my mind for quite some time and finally decided to try it out for my young miniaturist friend.

Soft sponge 4 1/2" x 2 3/4" x 1 1/2" (8 for $1 at Dollarama)
2 3/4" foam hair curlers (pack of 8 for $1 at Dollarama)
piece of matboard 10 1/4" x 2 3/4"

Score and fold the matboard in 2 3/4" from each end.

Remove the plastic piece from the inside of the foam curler and slit the foam lengthwise.


Wrap the matboard around three sides of the sponge and slip the split foam rollers as shown. I'm going to cover the foam so I'm just holding it in place right now.

I have a suede look shirt that I picked up at Frenchie's in Nova Scotia that will be used to upholster the foam.

I cut a piece of fabric to cover the sponge. Not the best choice of fabric. Between the sponge soaking up glue and the fabric being a polyester blend, you really have to be patient and glue one part at a time then wait for it to dry before proceeding to the next step.

I wrapped the fabric around the sponge overlapping it at the back. I only glued the back pieces - not the bottom, top or front. Once that glue dried, I trimmed the ends a bit and glued the fabric to the ends of the sponge. I then glued the entire seat in position on the matboard and placed it in my gluing jig with a book against the open end to hold everything in place until the glue dried.



Boy, if I thought gluing that fabric in place was hard, it was nothing compared to trying to glue it to the foam rolls. I cut it to cover the outside with just enough to cover the slits on either side. I wrapped the fabric around the piece, gluing the ends into the slits and sliding a popsicle stick in the slit to hold the fabric in place while the glue dried.

Then I cut slits all around the ends, spread them quite liberally with glue, and tucked each piece into the middle of the roll.


When I put the arms back on, I felt they were too high so I cut the matboard down by 1/2" - which was probably a bit too much.

Not thrilled with it but it was a fun experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment