Sunday, October 9, 2011

reading day

I told Leanne yesterday that as soon as people saw the new bookshelves in the library there would be more bags of books donated...and this morning I saw just how true that was.

Started the day by taking all the pages for "The Book" down to the library as the table there was ideal for collating the twelve copies. First thing I saw was bags of donations!

Got the pages collated then started on shelving the donations. And, of course, found several books that I look forward to reading! Had such good intentions of getting work done around the condo today BUT one of the books donated was "Rhett Butler's People" by Donald McCaig. This is an "authorized novel" based on Margaret Mitchell's "Gone with the Wind", one of many of my favourite books. I quite enjoyed the author's take on Rhett's background but wondered if he had even read GWTW as some of the storyline just didn't ring true to me, particularly his characterization of Melanie. Having said that, it was a good read and I did enjoy it.

I did read the other sequel, "Scarlett" by Alexandra Ripley several years ago but quite frankly have forgotten most of the storyline so will be re-reading it again soon. I do remember enough, however, that I have to wonder how the Margaret Mitchell Estate could authorize two such different 'sequels'.

No comments:

Post a Comment