Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Alberta Arts Days

Alberta Arts Days is a three day, province-wide celebration of the arts. I first became involved in it last year when I was invited to do a display of miniatures at Leo Nickerson Elementary School.

I was pleased to be asked back again this year. The timing wasn't as good as last year when it was the Friday before our Show and Sale but it's a good opportunity to show young people the fun miniatures can be.

First group of musicians entertaining in the front entry:


The morning started with a school assembly showcasing Rooney and Punyi, two local actors whose work is wonderful; Martin Kerr, a former contestant on Canadian Idol; and a couple from Calgary who demonstrated Inuit throat singing, dancing and drumming.

Wonderfully behaved students!
The couple from Calgary in Inuit clothing.
 Inuit drumming:

Rooney and Punyi did an abbreviated version of their twisted fairy tale and Martin Kerr sang a song he had written about the artist in everyone and Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah".

After the assembly, about 20 St. Albert artists had tables of their work in the halls and other artists, actors, etc., did various workshops in classrooms. One of the events was an interview of Father Lacombe with Paul Punyi as Father Lacombe. I wish I had been able to watch that as I've been fortunate in the past to see him as Lenin and Shakespeare.


 I fell in love with this painting done with acrylics and a palette knife.
The same artist did this painting for her daughter. Had to take a picture of it for my daughter.

My display:
The highlight of my display was the miniature that I did earlier this year of the Leo Nickerson Art Studio (far left). On the far right are the two trash to treasure vignettes I did for the Canada Minis Trash to Treasure challenge.

To the right of the art studio is the display of the chairs in four scales behind an assortment of trash to treasure items.

The book at the front of the table is a copy of my "Trash to Treasure: Miniatures on a Shoestring" book. The book isn't completed yet but I took a selection of the pages and printed two copies: one for the school library and another that students could win in a draw.

The art teacher, Andrea Daly, is planning on incorporating a vignette into her art or English classes so she has the school copy for now and I've offered to get together with her for a brainstorming session.

No comments:

Post a Comment